Saturday 29 March 2014

Sirio CX 4-68 down for repairs.

I came home from work the other day and while having a coffee looked out the kitchen window and seen a length of aluminium tubing leaning against the wall, I thought to myself that my neighbour had come across the aluminium and dropped it in for me to use as an antenna, not the first time he has done this!!
When I went out to have a look at it I realised that it was from my 4m Sirio CX 4-68 antenna and that aluminium was from the vertical radiating section.
The antenna broke where the vertical section screws on to the top of the loading coil, the “sleeve” which holds the vertical rod in place has shattered and split.

I took the antenna down today and replaced it with a 4m dipole for the time being, I will ask one of my friends to weld a tube of brass or something on to the threaded piece and slot it so that I can put the radiating section back on, then I will be back using a decent antenna again!!!
Antenna showing location of damage.

Damage to where the radiating element joins to loading coil.


The damaged section will need to be removed and a new "sleeve" added so that vertical piece can be joined back on.



No comments:

Post a Comment